Saturday, November 6, 2010

AEDM November 6th

So I designed that bookcase which will hold the fat quarters and which will go under my Muse pictures. Now, I'm not really much of a woodworker, not yet, anyway, though I'm a little further along than being confined to building birdhouses; but I'm no cabinet-maker, certainly. So I kept it simple. Simple, but with some design to it; and I figured I could probably make something simple but with a bit of an Arts and Crafts sensibility in the proportions. That I can do.

So here's the sketch. I should probably redraw it on graph paper, since the proportions of the thickness of the wood are a little off (since 1" wood is actually 3/4"), and I want to make sure it won't look anemic; still, I'm pretty happy with it.



Again, I don't have a scanner right now so I had to take a photo, which I played around with to get some kind of readable contrast. I like the effect, though; it makes it look like one of Leonardo's sketches, don't you think?

Although, really, for the full Leonardo effect it should look like this:



I don't know yet quite how I'm going to do that thick top, or the moulding on the thick top, but I'll figure it out.

And oh yes, that's a sketch of Sir Isaac Mewton's head over there on the side. He moved, of course.

9 comments:

Marianne @ RuffHaven said...

Very nice. can't wait to see it finished.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, a very ambitious project. If you have a miter saw, the angle should be easy for making the top piece. You could also cut trim at that angle, but cutting the angle on the top board itself will be easier. Keep us posted on the progress, and I think Leonardo would be proud!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahahahaha, love the "full Leonardo!"

B @ Sweet Limes said...

My grandpa used to do technical sketches like this before he'd go to work in his wood working shop. Looking at this really brought back lots of memories. I wish I had some of his to frame, they have such a good feel about them, and yours does too!

Anne Butera said...

Looks great! I like that you're not afraid to jump in and try things even if you don't feel like you know what you're doing. That's how I operate most of the time and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Thalia said...

I do have a miter saw, Bleubeard and Elizabeth, but I can't picture how that would work. It will work for cutting across a board, but not for the length. I could do it on the table saw, but I'm not sure I can get a big enough blade to get through it when it's set at an angle. Band saw maybe? That's a little tricky for getting perfectly straight lines, though. Hmmmm.

Anne, I pretty much know how much to push I guess. Whatever this will take it's only just outside what I know how to do. So it's not like a huge learning experience (which I'm not generally up for with power tools anyway. I like safety).

Debra, thank you. Glad you got it! :)

Thank you Marianne.

B, there is a neatness or something about good technical sketches isn't there?

Thalia said...

Also, see, when I post my AEDM contribution early instead of late, everyone gets a chance to come over here and comment. My clever plan is working.

Kelly said...

This looks like an amazing project. I admire your openness to trying new things. Now that is what I call being multi talented!

dandelionlady said...

I do like how Leonardo they look, good luck with the execution of such an ambitious project!