Tuesday, February 2, 2010

For Bride



A traditional Gaelic verse to Bride, Who drives out the Cailleach, the Old Woman of Winter:

Chuir Bride miar ’s an abhuinn
La na Feill Bride
Is dh’ fhalbh mathair ghuir an fhuachd
Is nigh i basan anns an abhuinn
La na Feill Padruig
Is dh’ fhalbh mathair ghin an fhuachd


Bride put her finger in the river
On the Feast Day of Bride
And away went the mother who hatches the cold
And she bathed her palms in the river
On the Feast Day of Patrick
And away went the mother who breeds the cold

From the Carmina Gadelica, for the 5th annual Brighid in the Blogosphere Poetry Reading.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Thalia -- I hope it's okay with you that I featured your illustration of Brigid and the Groundhog on my Imbolc blog today, with links to your blog and etsy shop. I want to be your disciple in spreading the word that the Groundhog is the Reason for the Season.

Thalia said...

Ha! Yeah, that's fine. I'm not claiming to be a Messiah, though! :)

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I really like this one too!