Thursday, February 26, 2009

Unamused Grace

The Powers That Be at Blogger have decided to switch around the 'Followers' (seen on this blog as 'Devoted Readers') widget-thingy, I assume with an eye to it being more synergistic or integrational or multifunctional or to help 'grow community' or somesuch happy-corporate-but-we're-cool-look-we-have-casual-Fridays jargon. I am not impressed.

Nor amused, particularly, since the new one automatically puts a link and a logo on it with no nevermind from me; and there is no option to change it.

The older I get, the more visceral my reaction to advertising gets--I am coming to a place where I find the very idea of it deeply immoral. It is manipulation, plain and simple, and is never in line with anyone's best interests but the company's profits. And they will do anything, pretty much, to get those profits, including telling all the women of the world they are inadequate shit unless they buy the company's products. So, having no advertisements on any of my sites has been a hard-and-fast rule since Day One. Except for links to my own store, and even then I actually feel conflicted, believe it or not.

So it's coming down, on principle. Feel free to call me a curmudgeonly misanthropist cave-dweller; I mean, it's not like I don't know that already.

No comments: