Thursday, October 23, 2008

Forwarding Kindness

From Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom, Mrs. B (of the famous 31 Days of Hallowe'en contest, in which she gives away a prize or two a day; there are still nine days left to win something, so get on over there and play!) is participating in a Pay it Forward meme. This one is a bit different from the "Random Six Things" meme, or the "Something You Don't Know About Me" meme or the "What's Your Soap-Opera Name" meme in that the condition is forwarding acts of kindness to others. Which is, in general, a good thing to be doing anyway, but if we can all give the Wheel a little bit of an extra spin in that direction perhaps we can get a kind of "kindness momentum" going.

Now, first of all, you have to have a blog to participate in this. The rules, or guidelines for those of us who dislike rules (that would include me):

Three people sign up in comments, and those three receive some sort of kindness from me. Those three people then blog about it at their place and offer the same to the first three people who sign up, who blog about it at their place, and offer kindnesses to the next three, &c., &c., &c., until the Kindness Revolution is unstoppable due to Newton's Second Law, where f=ma.

Now the act of kindness can be whatever you like; it can be a little gift you mail to someone, or it can be something more intangible; whatever fits your circumstances, budget, or personality. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant, certainly; just something to put a smile on a stranger's face.

So what I'm going to give to the first three people who sign up below is a three-card reading with my Goddess Oracle Deck. Leave your email and a link to your blog; I will give the reading via email after your own Pay It Forward post is up at your place. Oh and in your blog post link back to this post, if you could.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would absolutely love to play. My blog is :

http://greenwoman.wordpress.com

e-mail address is

brids.flame@gmail.com

Now to figure out what to give away and get that post up!

Anonymous said...

And, here is my PIF entry:

http://greenwoman.wordpress.com/2008/10/23/pay-it-forward-blogger-style/

z.briedis said...

kindness flows through us without ceasing if only we leave the gate of our heart lit and left open.

thank you.

Angela Raincatcher said...

This is a lovely idea. I want to participate! My blog is http://www.nineravens.com.

Angela Raincatcher said...

Gah! My email is angela@nineravens.com

Anonymous said...

ooh! Does that mean I'm #3.

beweave1@comcast.net

What a great idea. I'm going to have to think of what my kindness will be.

Thalia said...

I believe you are, beweaver, since z.briedis was tagged downstream (or signed herself up to be tagged) at greenwoman's place.

So, green fingers, angela raincatcher, and beweaver.

Evn said...

I'm late! Argh!

Thalia said...

I received my kindness today from when I signed up for this meme over at Mrs. B's. And I realized when I got it that there is another part to this:

It's about learning to receive.

Because when it came in the mail and I opened it, one of the first things I thought (after, oh cool!) was, oh, now I owe her. Which is not what this is about at all, and it made me think of how we are all trained to keep this sort of invisible tally-sheet, a tit-for-tat score, even for the good things. And this is supposed to be something else. Just kindness received.

So, a lot to think about.