Friday, December 12, 2008

Minoans Four And Five








Well here are my last couple entries for Art Every Day Month, two more in the Minoan style. I like the bottom one, of stylised ivy, better than the top one, I think, which is a little too heavy on the narrative, as I'm leaning a little more towards the abstract on these, which is uncharacteristic of me, and probably A Good Sign. That second one looks fairly Dr. Seussian, with the red-and-black stripey bits and the eyeball-on-a-stalk, don't you think?

I had meant to do them the first week of December, but I was away for a few days, and when I got back the Cat needed attention (she is fine now, no worries), so I'm just getting to it now.

I really like these; I'd be interested to see just how far I can go with such a limited palette. And I have to say, conventional wisdom is correct, at least in this experience, when they say it takes three weeks to break (or make) a habit; for I seem to have gotten the hang of making some art, if not every day, at least more frequently than I used to. So for that I am profoundly grateful. Thank you, Leah.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very impressed.

The images are very beautiful and I am wondering if we could order these Minoan images on totebags or journals... See what I mean?

Still, I want to be the voice in the back of your head, Thalia: tarot... tarot lol

Leah said...

Oh man, I can't believe I missed the cat giveaway. Poo! Oh well. Beautiful images you've created here!

Thalia said...

Pietra, stop that. I have enough little voices in the back of my head as it is. :)

But, hint taken about the totebags/journals/cards/prints thing. I'll work on that.

And thank you (again) Leah, though sorry you missed the contest! Though I have to say I really like the idea of regular contests, in that encouraging prosperity and flow by giving kind of way, so they may well become a regular feature.

Unknown said...

Thalia, I am one of your little voices (evil laughter). And the best part is: it is a voice in Portuguese! hehe

huasgdjsfg

Anyways, as my mom is going to US on january I am thinking about asking her to buy me a minoan tote bag lol

Thalia said...

Oh great. The little voice in the back of my head is also one I can't understand. Though I'd guess the word for "Tarot" in Portuguese isn't much different than English.

I am working on uploading the Minoan art to my CafePress shop. I'll let everyone know when I'm done.

My word identification word is salis, which is a misspelling either for Salus, the Roman Goddess of health, or Sulis, the Goddess of the hot springs of Bath, England. I don't know if that's a good sign or bad. Google could be telling me I need to look after my health by paying attention to hygeine, or it could have figured out this is a Goddess-inclined blog and is trying to suck up to me. Either way, kinda scary.

Unknown said...

oooohhhh... This google guy wants to be a bigger oracle than us...

I think that the worst part is when we start to listen (read?) to google and its words ...

And, yes, tarot in Portuguese is pretty much the same... but we can write it "tarô"... I like the T in the end, though...