Thursday, April 6, 2017

Anuket


It's Anuket this time, the ancient Egyptian Goddess of the Nile River in the area around the First Cataract, where the river is rocky and shallow, making navigation difficult. Her name means 'The Clasper', because the banks at that place are high and narrow and further constrain the River. The First Cataract was traditionally the border with Nubia, so I've given Her Nubian features.

It's done digitally like the earlier Bat piece, to look like an Art Deco lithographed poster, though I've taken plenty of cues from ancient Egyptian art as well, such as the shape of Her hands. I'm having a lot of fun with that style, and I'm really pleased with how this came out!

Her Obscure Goddess Online Directory entry is here, if you're interested in further reading.

And I've put Her up on cards and prints at Zazzle and deviantArt respectively.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Magnificently watery and commanding!

Thalia said...

Thank you! I really like this style and will have to do more.